October 01, 2018: Please refer to the rules & regulations for more information.

Confederate Cemetery Association

a Historical Texas Cemetery

Welcome to the home of the Confederate Cemetery Association, a historical cemetery listed on the National Register of Historical Places in Texas. We are located in the town of Alvin, Texas which is in the northern section of Brazoria County. The original Cemetery was formed in 1898. As it grew, the Association was later formed to promote the operation, maintenance, administration and preservation of the Cemetery.

Although we started with only a few acres, we have grown to 22 acres of developed and maintained property. In recent years, we have also secured an additional 15 acres of property to accommodate the growing needs of the area. We have been committed for over 100 years to maintain the Cemetery in a manner that our founders would deem appropriate as a place of serenity and peace. We continue to honor the original guidelines established for the Cemetery, while working diligently to update our policies and regulations to accommodate the many changes the Cemetery has seen.

We are honored to serve the community of Alvin, as well as many other surrounding areas. Whether you are dealing with the recent loss of a loved one or you are planning for the future, the Confederate Cemetery Association is available to assist you with your needs.

hr

History About Confederate Cemetery Association

One of the older organizations in the community has had an extremely quiet role, yet it continues in a rather civic manner to serve a need and to contribute to the heritage of the community. The Confederate Cemetery, including its governing board, is an outgrowth of the Confederate

img

John Austin Wharton

July 23, 1828 - April 6, 1865

Veterans John A. Wharton Camp organized in 1894. The first cemetery in 1894. The first cemetery property was purchased after a meeting between the John A. Wharton Camp and a closely associated organization, the Lamar Fontaine Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

The Lamar Fontaine Chapter was organized in 1894 also. It was the desire of the members of the Chapter to erect a monument honoring the Confederate Veterans of the Alvin community. They felt that the City Cemetery, now known as the Oak Park Cemetery, was lacking in drainage and was not a suitable place for the planned monument. It was then voted by the organization that a committee meet with the John A. Wharton Camp to encourage the veterans to choose a more desirable site for a cemetery and the proposed monument.The First two acres of the Confederate Cemetery were purchased June 27, 1898 for the John A. Wharton Camp by its commander. Henry Sampson. Additional land purchase was made in 1903. These deeds were not recorded in Brazoria County until 1907. Another expansion was made in 1927.

The Lamar Fontaine Chapter was organized in 1894 also. It was the desire of the members of the Chapter to erect a monument honoring the Confederate Veterans of the Alvin community. They felt that the City Cemetery, now known as the Oak Park Cemetery, was lacking in drainage and was not a suitable place for the planned monument. It was then voted by the organization that a committee meet with the John A. Wharton Camp to encourage the veterans to choose a more desirable site for a cemetery and the proposed monument.
The First two acres of the Confederate Cemetery were purchased June 27, 1898 for the John A. Wharton Camp by its commander. Henry Sampson. Additional land purchase was made in 1903. These deeds were not recorded in Brazoria County until 1907. Another expansion was made in 1927.

Click here to read more ~~>
hr

Interesting Facts About Cemeteries and Headstones

Before the 19th Century there were no actual Graveyards. Most people were buried on their family property or just Church cemeteryoutside the town limits. Later they began to bury people in the Church yard which were usually fenced in and they felt very desolate. By the mid 19th Century most Church yards were getting full and more people were living in larger towns. As a result they began setting aside land specifically for Cemeteries. These were well maintained and had grass, trees and flowers giving it a “park like” feel. It was then that people began the tradition of picnicking in the Cemetery.